What is a portable ladder?
A portable ladder is a ladder that can be easy to move or carry, with side rails joined at predetermined intervals by steps, rungs, cleats, or rear braces. A portable ladder is a ladder than can be easily moved or carried. Portable ladders are available in various grades: light-duty or grade 3; medium-duty or grade 2; heavy-duty or grade 1.
When properly selected, erected, and used, portable ladders temporarily provide one of the following:
• A passageway to other surface levels.
• The means of support while performing elevated work. Portable ladders are typically commercially manufactured and constructed to meet the voluntary American National Standard for Ladders known as ANSI-ASC A14.
OSHA’s regulations identify four unique groups of ladders:
` Portable ladders
` Fixed ladders
` Mobile ladder stands and platforms
` Job-made ladders
• Fixed ladders are permanently attached to buildings, equipment, or structures and cannot be readily moved or carried.
• Mobile ladder stands are movable, non-height adjustable, self-supporting ladders, which look like stairs mounted on wheels.
• Job-made ladders are typically fabricated at construction worksites and are not commercially manufactured.
Information about fixed ladders, mobile ladder stands, and platforms, and job-made ladders is not presented in this publication.
Go to our website to see more portable ladders.